1. Make time to meditate. Set aside enough time in your daily routine for meditating.
2. Find or create a quiet, relaxing environment.
3. Sit on level ground. Sit on a cushion if the ground is uncomfortable. You don't have to twist your limbs into the half lotus or full lotus position or adopt any unusual postures. The important thing is to keep your back straight, as this will help with breathing later on.
4. Relax everything, and keep searching for things that aren't relaxed.
5. Let your attention rest on the flow of your breath. Listen to it, follow it, but make no judgments on it.
6. Silence your mind. Once you've trained your mind to focus on just one thing at a time, the next step is focus on nothing at all, essentially clearing your mind.