10 things you have to do when you visit Santorini.
1. Go to Ammoudi for eating. Walking along the dust road to reach the small beach with the cliffs, diving into the deep waters and swimming below the caldera, above the sea bottom chaos (here there are no sunbathing comforts etc). Then going to the taverna with the yellowish colours on the walls for fish and sea dishes and waiting for the sunset. The sun vanishes behind Thirasia and from this spot you have the sunset with the longest duration!
2. The best spots for the sunset. Although the sunset at the Oia Castle is the most famous on the island, it is surely not the only one –and not necessarily always the best! You can admire a spectacular sunset at Fira, Firostefani and Imerovigli (we recommend seeing it from Skaros in Imerovigli)! In order to get a different angle of the sunset having the whole of Santorini in the frame, you should go to Faros in Akrotiri, where you will be almost alone. Another option is to choose Profitis Ilias (Pyrgos), one of the highest spots of the island, or Vlihada beach, where you will be fascinated with the volcanic scenery changing colour nuances as the sun sets.
3. Stay in a cave house. The Santorinian architecture is really unique. Yposkafo (cave house) was the type of house built by the poor society class of Santorini in order to stay protected by the gusty winds. Nowadays, famous architects have turned these cave houses in modern and luxurious holiday resorts. It is worth to experience (even for one night) the claustrophobic feeling you get when you stay in a cave house, its characteristic smell and the direct access to caldera.
4. Visiting Museums. Visiting the Museum of Prehistoric Thera and the Archaeological Museum is as if plunging into the long and rich history of the island. The Museum of Prehistoric Thera hosts the important findings that were brought into light with the excavations in Akrotiri. Impressive plaster furniture mouldings, bronze pottery items and the unique golden statuette of the wild goat. The Archaeological Museum exhibits collections of sculptures and inscriptions from the Archaic to the Roman Era.
5. Visit Akrotiri. Nowhere in the world is there anything similar -and this year it opens to the public for the first time after six years. Visiting Akrotiri is like travelling in time. Walk around the streets and squares of a pre-historic city of 30.000 inhabitants(!), admire the elegant mansions and high finesse of the 17th century B.C.
6. Experience the Santorinian scuba diving. Only scuba diving lovers can really appreciate the unique experience of the underwater world. In Santorini this feeling will be greater, as you get the chance to see the distinctiveness of the bottom of this sea: the volcanic stones and the bottomless depth of the caldera. Take a chance to live this experience!
7. Try the local cuisine with Santorini products. Looking at the volcano, escaping in the caldera. So what? What is the importance of all this if you cannot feel it deeply inside yourself? And how is it possible to feel the power of this land, unless you sense its aromas through the products of its earth, cooked by a chef who really loves it? And, of course, by accompanying them with a bottle of ‘Santorini’, the assyrtiko wine of our island with its metallic acidity and unique features.
8. The gastronomic Destination. Probably the most gastronomic island of the Aegean with a wide range of exceptional local products (sea p.100) and restaurants attributing another dimension to the Greek cuisine. You will not have a full experience of the island if you omit trying dishes prepared by the distinguished and awarded chefs of the island, who cook with passion and give soul to local products.
9. Experience the Santorinian scuba diving. Only scuba diving lovers can really appreciate the unique experience of the underwater world. In Santorini this feeling will be greater, as you get the chance to see the distinctiveness of the bottom of this sea: the volcanic stones and the bottomless depth of the caldera. Take a chance to live this experience!
10. Go on an excursion! Choose packages that include visiting the Volcano and Thermal Springs. Spend some time in Thirasia to explore Potamos and Manolas settlements, which are not touristically developed, and have a swim in Korfos (old harbour), where you can enjoy your meal at one of the picturesque tavernas. Having the view of Santorini while on board is surely an experience that you should no way miss!